Re: Topband: More anecdotal "stories" to cause one to stop and....

To: "'Richard Fry'" <rfry@adams.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: More anecdotal "stories" to cause one to stop and....
From: "AJ4SQ" <aj4sq@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2013 11:30:25 -0500
"The radiated field of a vertical monopole present on the surface of lossy
earth decays at greater than a 1/R rate.  But, for example, the field shown
at a horizontal distance of 0.1 km in my surface wave plot for an elevation
angle of 5 degrees is not located on the surface of the earth.  It is about
9 meters above it, and in fact, is a space wave."

I'm not sure what plot you are referring to. Was this for a wavelength of
something like 160m? I don't see how field values at a 100m (0.625 lambda)
range and 9m (0.05625 lambda) altitude can tell us anything about the
far-field behavior.

Based on the documentation I've found, the basic NEC model treats the
radiated field as a combination of the direct (free-space) wave and the part
reflected from the interface, for which it uses an approximation. I assume
that any part of the solution not included in these two is called the
surface wave. It does not, by definition, contribute to the radiated (i.e.
1/r) field. Am I misunderstanding their (and your) definition of the surface
wave?