Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorter versions??

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorter versions??
From: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 16:58:09 -0700 (PDT)
> A lot of hams on 160m have been similarly "shocked". :-)
At the time my source for antenna projects were the Bill Orr Books, and the 5/8
Vertical idea came from the "All About Vertical Antennas" Book. Getting 3dB
with some wire and a balloon sounded pretty good.
By now I have seen most of the graphs and realize that there is such a thing as
too low of a radiation angle on 160m. Especially true if you are in between
costal hills like we were.
My interest now is more of getting my Son KK6DOC involved, and flying a Balloon
Vertical I think would be fun for a kid.

> Before you do Niko, read the Brown, Lewis and Epstein RCA report.
Thanks Clive, I downloaded it from
here http://157.92.49.120/materias/6654/download/01686419.pdf. (first hit on
Google search).  The site has some other papers which may be also be
interesting.
Niko AC6DD
Topband Reflector