Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorter versions??

To: "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: 5/8 wavelength vertical is mo betta than shorter versions??
From: Niko Cimbur <ac6dd@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2013 11:23:34 -0700 (PDT)
> Concerning your real experience, how did you measure the elevation angles
and pattern beam width?
Peter,

We did not measure any angles, I was barely getting started on 160m at the time,
and was more interested in putting up a good antenna for the Contest.
The radiation pattern information comes from the ON4UN book Low-Band
Dxing/Vertical Antennas/Tall Verticals.
We had a similar setup as his example 60+ radials over average ground for each
antenna.
Our location was here: 35.335581, -120.747388

RF,

I can set up a 5/8 wl vertical over salt water, and I am pretty sure I will
have a killer ground wave signal in ... Santa Barbara.

As far as the really low takeoff angle I remember seeing a table, I believe it
was an ARRL publication where signals on 160m 90% of the time arrive at an
angle above 13 degrees.
This is from memory, correct me if I am wrong.

Niko AC6DD
Topband Reflector