Topband: 160m Inverted L High SWR

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: 160m Inverted L High SWR
From: Bill Stewart <cwopr@embarqmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2013 17:08:56 -0400 (EDT)
Good afternoon all,
I just finished installing a new Inverted L. The previous one was
removed because
a tree fell across a set of guys on my tower, which had to be taken down. The
new
Inverted L is strung up amongst a lot of tall (80 ft +) pine trees. The vert.
section is
abt 55 ft & the rest is nearly flat horizontal. Total length is 130 ft/6 in. I
am using a
4 wire c-poise abt 9 ft high of which none are directly under the horiz.
section.
Each wire is abt 135 ft long. The min. SWR is abt 2.9:1 at 1833 khz. The SWR
curve is broad which looks odd to me. I am feeding it direct with a random
length of
50 ohm coax. For these tests, I am using a TS-440S, which reduces power at this
value of SWR (the internal tuner does not operate on 160). Normally, I would
run
vintage xmtrs, which load up ok. I will try it tonight to see if it gets out of
the yard.

Any suggestions how I can get the SWR down below 2:1 so the TS-440S will work
at
full power? I apologize if this subject has been discussed before. If so,
please point
me towards that info.

Many thanks for any comments....73 de Bil l K4JYS

Topband Reflector