Re: Topband: Best Outlet sttrip

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Best Outlet sttrip
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Oct 2013 07:28:11 -0700
On 10/6/2013 7:04 AM, Dan Bookwalter wrote:
I am in need of a couple outlet strips for the shack , what is the best option
out there that is not overly expensive

Most branded outlet strips have MOVs for "surge suppression." MOVs on branch circuits are well known to CAUSE destructive failure of equipment powered from these outlets when there are interconnections between that equipment and equipment powered from other outlets. The only good place for MOVs is at the service entraince (that is, where power enters your home).

The "best" outlet strip is something we can all easily build with parts from Home Depot or Lowe's. We need duplex outlets, gangable steel backboxes, some wire, and a coverplate. Don't buy the cheap duplex outlets for a buck apiece, buy the better ones.

73, Jim K9YC
Topband Reflector