Re: Topband: Best Outlet sttrip

To: "TopBand" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Best Outlet sttrip
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 16:08:16 -0400
Tom,

You have probably already seen references like this:

http://www.zerosurge.com/technical-info/how-surge-suppression-works/

One can either believe it, or dismiss it as voodoo engineering. I'll not try and persuade its use other than to point out that if a whole-house SPD is installed at the power meter or entrance panel, and if its clamping devices are working without failure, then there's probably no need for additional SPDs anywhere else on a branch circuit. But if that protective entry device does fail, and I'm left with only secondary SPD protection on a branch circuit, I would rather clamp to neutral where it's still at ground potential by virtue of the neutral-to-ground bond at the entrance, but not potentially raise the potential of the branch circuit's grounding conductors.

Paul, W9AC

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>