Re: Topband: Vacuum variable capacitors

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Vacuum variable capacitors
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2013 09:51:43 -0400
Steve, If you want to avoid the high price of vacuum variables I would suggest the much lower price of G2 or equal HV high current fixed micas available on E-Bay. These fixed caps can be made essentially variable by putting a series inductance like a hand wound taped coil of copper tubing. You can also use a simple roller inductor to find the correct march and then replace with a fixed inductor of a higher power handling capability. Be sure you pick a value that is somewhat higher in capacitance then you think you will need so the series inductance will give you an adequate tuning range.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ