Re: Topband: Light fiber question

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Light fiber question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:28:45 -0400
People forget, or don't know, fiber cables require modulators and demodulators. The modulators and demodulators are not simple, and have horrible dynamic range compared to a simple piece of coax.

I can't think of a good Ham shack application using fiberoptics for coupling RF signals. First, the dynamic range stinks compared to coax. Second, common mode is very easily completely cured with extreme measures.

I feel a little guilty about starting some of the common mode stuff, because it has taken off into being far more extreme than it really needs to be. As a general rule, if you isolate the antenna end and have a proper shack entrance, a few beads are the most you'll need.

One of the worse things are plastic boxes and wire grounds inside insulated boxes, and what we do on antenna with poor grounds. But it is all easily fixed without extreme measures.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>