Re: Topband: DX Window

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: DX Window
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Dec 2013 08:53:58 -0500
I take it as that window is for DX stations to be heard without
having to compete with the wall of sound coming from the states. I
had a terrible time pulling some EU & AF stations when they were
being clobbered by 20 over CQing signals from stateside. No way they
can compete with such a signal 30Hz away. That 5KHz is miniscule
compared to the rest of the band. I'm all for that being reserved for
DX calling only. You'll never find me CQing in there even in a non
ARRL contest.

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Whatever the ARRL intent may have been, the wording of that
> particular rule is defective, and has been for as long as I can
> remember.
>
> Consider:  How does one _start_ an "intercontinental QSO"?  Usually
> one party or the other sends "CQ".  So to make a QSO in the DX
> Window someone has to send "CQ TEST" or self-spot, then deliberately
> choose not to answer anyone from his/her own continent!  Sure sounds
> like an intelligent rule to me.  Not!
>
> The only way I can see an "intercontinental only" rule working would
> be to say something along the lines of "Only stations outside North
> America should CQ in the DX WIndow, and North American stations
> should transmit in that window only when calling and working those
> DX stations."
>
> But the ARRL 160 always was -- and still is -- first and foremost an
> ARRL/RAC Sections contest.  Given that, it's not clear why there
> should be _any_ rule giving favors to intercontinental QSOs.
> Contest rules might be better advised to simply "prohibit" _all_
> contest contacts and their solicitation in the DX Window, so as to
> leave that 5 kHz segment for non-contest CW DXers.
>
> Bud, W2RU
>

> On Dec 7, 2013, at 11:34 11PM, Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I see a lot of USA station, including a couple of regular
> contributors to
> > this reflector, calling CQ TEST between 1830 and 1835.
> >
> > According to http://www.arrl.org/160-meter "The segment 1.830 to
> 1.835
> > should be used for intercontinental QSOs only." I hear a lot of
> contacts
> > being made between stateside stations.
> >
> > I thought this was for DX stations, and that's mostly what I've
> heard call
> > CQ TEST there. Maybe someone can clarify this.  :-)
> >
> > 73, Mike
> > www.w0btu.com
> > Topband Reflector Archives - http://www.contesting.com/_topband

---