Re: Topband: Detuning TX Antenna

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Detuning TX Antenna
From: "Chortek, Robert L" <Robert.Chortek@berliner.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 19:01:02 +0000
Hi Tom,

The switchbox is a homemade relay box located at the base of the vertical about
100 feet from my shack.  One relay adds in a loading coil at the base of the
60'  vertical antenna for 160 meters.  When the shack switch is turned off, the
default position.  I don't need to detune on 80 since the re-radiated noise on
that band is minimal.  Another relay  can add/subtract  additional inductance
to move the resonant point around somewhat on 160 and from 80 to 75.

I built an "on/off" switch on my desk powered by a 12 v power supply that
controls the power to the relays at the base of the antenna.

I had planned to add another  12v relay which would just control the voltage
from the shack powers supply and it would be controlled by the TVSU.  The TVSU
would be used to control a relay that would simply turn the power from the
shack supply to the desk on/off switch off and on.   My plan is to wire the new
12v relay so when I hit the key, the TVSU will result (ultimately) in the relay
at the base of the antenna controlling the 160 meter loading coil being
activated -adding loading coil so the antenna would be resonant on 160 meters.
When I release the key, the loading coil would be disconnected and the antenna
detuned (back to the 75/80 default position).  The TVSU would make sure the
timing is correct

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your input.

73,