Re: Topband: Insulator problems- Notr og caution

To: "'Topband Reflector'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Insulator problems- Notr og caution
From: "GeorgeWallner" <aa7jv@atlanticbb.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 20:52:59 -0500

On Mon, 16 Dec 2013 14:32:41 -0500
"Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com> wrote:
Many black plastics are "blackened" by the addition of "carbon black" that can make them rather lossy at RF! "Been there, done that" in my work - at
900 MHz.

I have been using 3" black Derlin (Acetal)insulators at the base of my 160 m vertical. Because the antenna is only 91 foot tall, there are substantial voltages on the insulators at legal limit. Indeed, one them caught fire just after a rain-shower, when water got between the insulator and the metal. I replaced the burned insulator with the a new one and covered all the insulators with high voltage putty. That was about two years ago and I had zero trouble with any of them since.

George
AA7JV