Re: Topband: Feeding 160M Vertical on 80M

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Feeding 160M Vertical on 80M
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2014 22:27:01 -0800
On 1/6/2014 10:14 PM, Charlie Cunningham wrote:
No, you don't need any radial field under a vertical 1/2 wave. You'll be
driving a few thousand ohms, so a a few ohms or even 50-100 ohms of ground
resistance won't add any significant loss. A simple ground rod will do fine.

Yes, but radials DO help -- a bit. See the ON4UN book. Modeling shows that adding a lot of half-wave radials under a half wave antenna increases signal strength by 0.5 - 1.5 dB at low angles, roughly twice as much at higher angles, the greater improvement for lousy ground. To understand this, we must remember that radials serve TWO functions -- to return the antenna current, and to SHIELD the fields produced by the antenna from lossy earth. That is, of course, a lot of copper for 1 dB.

Another common way of feeding a half wave vertical is an autotransformer resonated by parallel capacitance. I've done that, and it worked.

73, Jim K9YC