Topband: To clamp or NOT...that IS the question

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Topband: To clamp or NOT...that IS the question
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 23:00:25 -0500
Hi Tom,

You said : "What works OK in one place will almost always not work the same
in another"

You just confirmed what I was trying to say, and that is in some
applications it just might work.  If I had not tried simple clamp diodes in
my application I would have made my system complicated via relays and
control signals when they really were not needed.

Same thing goes for the W7IUV preamp, if I had not tried using it without a
front end saver I would have gone and spent money and complicated my system
when it was not really needed.  But after reading that W7IUV did not use a
front end saver with his preamp I tried the same and could not be happier
with the results.

I'm suggesting that Jim try clamp diodes if he so desires and if he notices
intermod then he should remove them and try a more
complicated/elegant solution.

Don (wd8dsb)