Re: Topband: Nostalgic "openings"

To: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>, "'Mike Waters'" <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Nostalgic "openings"
From: "Bruce" <k1fz@myfairpoint.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 2014 01:17:21 -0500

Hi Charlie,

The HT-32 project took place at a TV station where I worked. They had a well equipped work shop at the transmitter site.
I had some idle time each work day to build and test.

Great on building your double lattice filter. Opening up the HC-6 crystals is a delicate operation. A friend tried it and too much heat and bye, bye crystal. I had ground many of the larger FT-243 type chrystals but never tried the loading process. Think one of the other guys tried it with pencil lead. He was trying to build a double lattice filter with a perfectly flat bandpass with steep sides. Was looking for perfection and never gave up trying.

I have a BC-696 up attic. I used another one mobile with a PE-103 dynamotor in the 1950's. I could zero beat a station with only 6 volts on the oscillator tube plate. It probably was 3/4 KCS off when transmitting. but the old wide band AM it did not matter. But that oscillator just wanted to go !

73
Bruce

Hi, Bruce

Yes, I remember "The IMP - A 3 Tube Filter Rig" by Joe Galeski, W4IMP!
Wanted to build one, but by then I was designing and building my own rigs,
and home-brewing my own back-to-back double half-lattice crystal filters,
while working my way through college as a technician/junior engineer in a
radio plant. I built one crystal filter from 2105 KHz crystals that were
used as the 2nd L.O in a citizens-band transceiver that we manufactured.
They wre used to convert the 1650 KHz first IF to 455 KHz. I opened up the HC-6 crystal cans and very carefully loaded and matched a couple of the 2105 crystal a bit lower in frequency wth with tiny bits of solder to pruduce an
SSB- width double 1/2 lattice filter that I built an SSB rig  aound that I
used for a while with my NC-109 receiver.

Wow, home-brewing an HT-32 must have been quite a project!!

73,
Charlie, K4OTV