Re: Topband: Anyone purchased the ARRL book on Short Antennas for 160???

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Anyone purchased the ARRL book on Short Antennas for 160???
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 22:00:39 -0800

On 1/21/2014 4:33 PM, Mike Waters wrote:

However, I did run into an antenna design that was significantly different
(to me, anyway) last month, in an old article about inverted-Ls by L.B.
Cebik. He showed an inverted-L fed at the transition from vertical to
horizontal. Open-wire line ran down and away from it at a 45 degree angle.

About 30 years ago, I had a 55 foot tower with a feedpoint at the
top.  It fed a horizontal wire 55 feet high and 130 feet long against
the tower.  The base of the tower was grounded, but no radials.
It loaded up fine, but was nothing great in terms of getting out.

On 80 and 40, the same setup resulted in an voltage fed, end fed
wire (1/2 or 1 wavelength long).  Loaded up fine, but was basically
a cloud warmer.

Rick N6RK