Re: Topband: Conductivity of stainless steel hardware

To: "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, "'Charles Stackhouse'" <cstack14478@yahoo.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Conductivity of stainless steel hardware
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 12:02:39 -0500
Amen!

Charlie, K4OTV

-----Original Message-----
From: Topband [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Tom W8JI
Sent: Sunday, January 26, 2014 11:26 AM
To: Charles Stackhouse; topband@contesting.com

Some of the longest most drawn-out debates (and fights) come from dealing
with how much is good, how much is OK, or how much is bad. It goes on and on

with everything until our heads spin.

<<<
A very tech savvy friend (microwaves, public safety radio) says this is no
good. Due to the poor
conductivity of stainless steel, RF connections should not be through the
hardware but through wires brought out of the boxes soldered directly to the

antenna wires.

I would appreciated the advice of this group.>>>>>

It sounds like your friend is single-focused only on the material type, and
ignoring other issues that are as important or more important. I've seen
this happen countless times in tank circuits and other places dealing with
materials, even relying on "goofy" microwave oven tests.

In this case, resistance or loss is a combination of:

1.) The impedance of the system at that point, the lower the impedance the
higher the loss...all other things equal

2.) The depth and number of any threads, or other surface characteristics.
The more irregular and deeper the valleys and peaks, the higher the
loss....all other things equal

3.) The cross-sectional area carrying current. The smaller the current
carrying cross section, the greater the loss....all other things equal

4.) The frequency

5.) The exact material

6.) What is around that material that might affect current distribution

The loss can range from immeasurable, which is probably virtually all cases
at HF and lower VHF, to significant in certain situations.

I would say, in your application, if the scale is like this:

immeasurable...........unnoticeable.............noticeable...........worriso
me...............significant

you are probably between the "m" or "r"  on "immeasurable" side of the line.

:-)

To measure the loss, the measurement would have to be caloric. You could run

a dozen amperes and measure temperature rise of a long thermally isolated
sample of the screws. Then you could estimate effective resistance per
linear inch.

I certainly would not lose any sleep over what you are doing.

73 Tom