Re: Topband: Submerging variable caps in oil as substitute for vacuum va

To: "Shoppa, Tim" <tshoppa@wmata.com>, "'n4zr@contesting.com'" <n4zr@contesting.com>, "'topband@contesting.com'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Submerging variable caps in oil as substitute for vacuum variables
From: HAROLD SMITH JR <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 19:16:09 -0800 (PST)

Subject:Re: Topband: Submerging variable caps in oil as substitute for vacuum
variables

The author points out (correctly) the tempco issues with oil dielectric.

Still I am intrigued by the thought of a remote tuning capacitor via hydraulic
tubing :-). The capacitor plates could be as simple as two concentric cylinder
conductors with appropriate spacers. I betcha crud collecting on the top of the
oil would set voltage limit.

Tim N3QE

-
The omega match for my shunt fed tower uses two 300 uF roughly 3000-volt
variables I bought from Henry radio a few years ago.  I think
occasionally about running more than 100 watts on 160, but the cost of
the vacuum variables is a real issue.  February QST has an article on
using mineral oil immersion to increase the voltage capability of
variables in a 600M amplifier.  The article does not include any hi-pot
data, but indicates that the maximum capacitance went up a lot.

Opinions?

Tim,

I have an oil filled variable capacitor that I picked up surplus many years
ago. The spacing is about 0.01 inch, capacitance 1000 pF and
if I remember correctly it hi-potted to around 5kV. I still have it.
I am using 2 X 500pF @ 7.5kV vacuum variables  in my Omega Shunt feed. I
normally run 1500 watts out on 160. Top loaded 80 feet of Rohn 45G.
Guyed with 6700 lb Phillystran.

73 de Price W0RI and Club Station W0CKC