Re: Topband: Short receiving verticals question

To: "Jon Zaimes AA1K" <jz73@verizon.net>, "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Short receiving verticals question
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2014 05:24:20 -0500

But what about an element loaded with a coil at the center or at the top? Would there be advantages to that approach that would come close to the short verticals with top-hat wires, or any serious disadvantages?

Jon,

The reason I use the hats and do everything I do in the elements is bandwidth. Even at my quiet rural location on the quietest hour of the quietest day, almost any element of reasonable height will have more than enough signal level. This is why I base load and use a large hat. While the large hat tends to keep current more uniform throughout the element independent of coil location, and while more uniform current increases radiation resistance, that effect is meaningless to me. The entire goal for me is bandwidth, or a stable SWR vs. frequency.

Bandwidth is also why I load the element with a series resistance for matching, instead of a network. I want to "swamp out" or dilute the effects of resonance, minimizing element phase shift vs. frequency change at the element terminals and preventing drastic changes in element feedpoint impedance from mutual coupling between elements.

The hat is actually the bulk of the loading, and sets the current distribution. The coil just cancels reactance. Since it is a series network with the inductor forming a series tank with the termination reactance, the lower the reactance used (compared to termination resistance) the larger bandwidth becomes. You want the loading coil to be terminated in the lowest capacitive reactance possible, and that is at the antenna base.

Because voltage and current are out-of-phase above the coil, even with high current, the impedance increases. This means the tradeoff in a bottom inductance is increased voltage above the inductor. The antenna is more "loss critical" above the coil for anything coupled via the electric field, including a lossy dielectric.

This is a compromise of two things:

1.) Bandwidth

2.) Sensitivity to dielectrics around the element

Getting rid of the hat while the element is close to a tree does nothing but bad things to both, but no one can say how much. The last resort for me would be no "hats". Perhaps you can use T elements with loading wires away from foliage that might change tuning or losses?

73 Tom