Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle

To: ZR <zr@jeremy.mv.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt feeding the Skyneedle
From: Carl Braun <Carl.Braun@lairdtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 17:09:50 +0000
ON4UNs graph in his book states that my 27m tower with 13' mast and 5 ele 20m
monobander (@ 28m high) is good for about 115 degrees. Other old school
references place it at 140 degrees.

Per my past posts I have a gamma arm at 90' and 25-28 inches from the tower. I
have 380 to 400 ohms at the bottom of the gamma wire to gnd. If I insert my EFJ
160pf air variable I can get the antenna to tune to 60 ohms and X=20 or so.

This morning I was copying Asian stations on 160 and the tuned into the BC
band. Using my 40m vertical array as a reference I switched back and forth
between my shunt fed tower and the array. At 600AM the signal strength on the
40m antennas were stronger. At 1200AM the array and the shunted tower were
equal at 1700AM ESPN radio was a good 30 to 40db stronger on the shunted tower.
Then the sensitivity decreased as I approached 1800 but the tower was still
20db stronger than the 40m antenna when listening to the FT5 pileup.

More experimentation with gamma arm placement today

Carl AG6X

Sent from my iPhone