Topband: Coax issues

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: Coax issues
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2014 00:14:38 -0500
Something happened tonight with the coax and now the SWR is very high
on all bands. The Coax is 350' of RG213/U, it runs under the leaves &
is buried under the snow. It terminates into the remote switching
section of an Ameritron RCS-8V where the 5 outlets lead to 5 separate
wire antennas.

I connected a dummy load to the coax in the shack and checked the
coax at the remote switch with a MFJ-259B analyzer and the SWR was
above 6. I replaced the connector at the shack end with no benefit.
On 160M where it normally resonates at 1.4 it now reads 7.5

As it happened tonight & was working till a couple of hours ago, I
looked for signs of an animal's digging in the snow along the route
the coax takes but saw nothing like that. I'd hate to dig up the
whole length of coax to try and find the affected area with the
ground frozen. I still haven't found any hardline and it would be a
waste to buy new coax when I'm wanting to have hardline instead.

Is there is a way the information available in the LP-100A in the
shack or the MFJ-259B can be used to locate the defective area?

Never a good time for coax/antenna problems, in the snow is not a
plus.

Thanks!

Gary
KA1J