Re: Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition

To: "'Ashton Lee'" <Ashton.R.Lee@hotmail.com>, "'DALE LONG'" <dale.long@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Topband: AM broadcast tower and 160m dxpedition
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 16:36:45 -0400
Good point!

-----Original Message-----
From: Topband [mailto:topband-bounces@contesting.com] On Behalf Of Ashton
Lee
Sent: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 4:03 PM
To: DALE LONG
Cc: topband@contesting.com

I would be especially mindful of corrosion issues in tower planning in the
Caribbean. There was a recent article in the Contest Journal on the ever
difficult tower corrosion experienced at PJ2T.

On Feb 25, 2014, at 1:17 PM, DALE LONG <dale.long@prodigy.net> wrote:

> Gentlemen:
>
>  I have been reluctant to ask for help which did not relate directly to
our reflector. But today I got up my courage, so here goes.  I have been
invited to lead a group of amateurs to help build an AM tower in Haiti.

> Two things that may relate to some of our readers:
>
> 1. I will be returning to Haiti in November to build a 240foot AM
broadcast tower.  I know there are many AM broadcast engineers on this list
and would like to have your advice.  Specifically we are searching for a
large conical base insulator.  Sometimes when a tower rusts, they are
disgarded or thrown on a pile somewhere.  We would like to buy one, and
possibly a tower as well.

> 2. In December of this year, I am organizing a small group to go to Haiti
and participate in the 160m contest. (this of course is dependent on the
tower being built.)

> I am particularly pleased that amateurs have been invited to help.
Sometimes broadcast engineers do not have the highest opinions of amateur
installations.  So we do want to do it right.  We have a 9-acre parcel of
land along the ocean and part of the area is a salt-water marsh. I think
there hasnt been any serious 160m activity from Haiti for a number of years.
This location would present a nice opportunity for a serious lowband
operation.

> If you have any information about base insulators/towers, or if you would
like to join a 160m dxpedition to Haiti, please respond off the reflector to
n3bna1@gmail.com