Re: Topband: ARRL Board Requests Member Comments About Digital Modes

Subject: Re: Topband: ARRL Board Requests Member Comments About Digital Modes
From: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 18:37:57 -0600
Thank you. I forgot that in Region 1 (essentially Europe, Asia, & Africa),
160m starts at 1810.

Here's a couple of thoughts for discussion:
- Since two-thirds of the world --including North and South America--
starts at 1800, why not consider region-specific band plans? Is digital
popular in other places?
 - How about 1840 to ~1845 for digital in lieu of --or even in addition
to-- below 1810?

As for bandwidth, here's what K1JT says about the significant bandwidth
advantages of JT9 vs. JT65:
"JT65 was designed for EME ... in contrast, JT9 is optimized for HF and
lower frequencies.  JT9 is about 2 dB more sensitive than JT65A while using
less than 10% of the bandwidth. ... A 2 kHz slice of spectrum is
essentially full when occupied by ten JT65 signals.  As many as 100 JT9
signals can fit into the same space, without overlap."
--From http://www.physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/wsjtx.html

73, Mike
www.w0btu.com