Re: Topband: A newbie question

To: TopBand <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A newbie question
From: donovanf@starpower.net
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 14:19:21 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Tom,

Welcome to topband! As you gain experience you will encounter
many situations where your transmit antenna is inadequate for
receiving. An excellent receiving antenna can provide as much as
10 dB improvement compared to an omnidirectional vertical
transmitting antenna, not only in terms of signal to noise ratio, but also
significantly improved ability to receive through pileup QRM and
intentional or accidental QRM.

Do you have adequate space for a receiving antenna? As with all things
involving antennas, size matters...

The highest performance receiving arrays such as the Hi-Z monoband
active 8-circle array (200 foot diameter) or the W8JI/W5ZN/N4HY
passive 8-circle array (350 foot diameter) require an acre or more well
away from transmitting antennas. They provide truly astounding
receiving improvement, but the expense and effort to install them is
much greater than for smaller arrays.

Small receiving antennas including the Array Solutions SAL-30, K9AY
loops or flag antennas offer significant improvement at modest effort
and cost, but they require only a 36 foot diameter circle.

Perhaps the simplest receiving antenna is a Beverage, offering quite good
performance for an investment of only a few hours work but they require
at least 500 feet of length to obtain significant performance improvement
compared to the popular small receiving arrays. W8JI has perhaps the
largest Beverage array in use on topband, three 900 foot phased
Beverages spaced 300 feet from each other.

73
Frank
W3LPL