Re: Topband: Antenna matching question

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>, Carl <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Antenna matching question
From: HAROLD SMITH JR <w0rihps@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 20:38:13 -0700 (PDT)
Tom,

I have an amplifier with a pair of 3-400Zs I built in the 60s. When I built it
it was for 20, 15 and 10 meters.
I used 3 of the 5 positions of a BC375 tuning unit switch. Everything work
fine. I added 160, 80 and 40 meters.
160 was switched in and out with a RJ-1a vacuum relay. When I went to 20 and up
meters the switch contacts arced.
I added another RJ-1a to short out the unused lower band coils. I switch the
RJ-1a's in and out with 2 mini toggle
switches. One says 160---other bands, the other switch says low bands---high
bands. It works fine on all bands.
At that time 3-400Zs were new from Eimac $34.00 each.

73 Price W0RI

>> If this is only 160-40 you probably won't have a series resonance issue with
>> unused turns, but if you cover a wide range you will want to progressively
>> short the large coil taps. This is why band switches that do not short (like
>> the old National amp) and why large roller inductors mess up on higher bands.
>

> If you mean the NCL-2000 I suggest looking at the schematic again.  Or did
> National make another ham amp that Ive missed??

Here you go, Carl

That's the wrong way to do a bandswitch. It does not pick up and hold the lower
band contacts when switched to higher bands. This allows the taps to build up
high voltages on lower band taps when working higher bands.

Switches should be pick up and hold, or progressively shorting.

73 Tom