Re: Topband: A CFL Bulb Issue

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: A CFL Bulb Issue
From: "Steve" <VE7SL@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:37:42 -0700
these CFL bulbs can generate some strong RF
noise just before going out.

Mack - had a similar issue here several years ago...s9+ buzz throughout the longwave band for a month. I live on an island with very few winter neighbours and eventually traced the source (which was radiating nicely via the powerlines) to an unoccupied summer residence, but still was not 100% certain as the signal was so loud from all of the 11 home's drop lines on the local grid. When the owner returned I had him pull the main breaker and sure enough the buzz stopped. It turned out to be a burned-out CFL bulb in the crawlspace that they left on to discourage any sea otters from trying to get into the space during the winter. The bulb was heavily charred and parts of it had already melted yet it continued to radiate a strong signal. Needless to say they were glad that it hadn't set their place on fire and have since stopped using this type of bulb.

Steve / VE7SL

Mayne Island, BC

WEB - "The VE7SL Radio Notebook": http://members.shaw.ca/ve7sl