Re: Topband: A35

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: A35
From: Herb Schoenbohm <herbs@vitelcom.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 10:25:10 -0400
Jim, What Alexey was referring to was DX-peditions in the Pacific (FT5ZM was the Indian Ocean and produce some interesting antipodal paths favoring the Midwest ) and I would agree with Alexey that most operations in the Pacific have been very hard to work or even hear on TopBand from this area. There were some exceptions perhaps due to serious dedication to locating near the beach with excellent RX antennas as well. They would include K9W and T33A. Also W8A made some effort to make the ellusive American Samoa possible to work for me for a new one.

One of the classic mistakes with many of the Pacific DX-peditions is repeated my some over and over and that is the look at the darn Grey Line tool on their laptops to decided for them when they fire up on Top Band for East Coast stations. This is normally 1 hours after my Sunrise here in the Eastern Caribbean at 64.7 degrees WL so a contact is not possible. More recently TX6G by coming on at his sunset, by design for *all* of NA resulted in many contacts. Even though I can work across the Pacific to ZL3IX (14,000 km) with ease any morning we try, anything in between at half the distance is a totally different story.

At least by Pacific DX-peditions coming on Top Band at *their* sunset IMHO it is more NA QSO productive plus they have propagation to Western Europe often for well equipped stations who are often waiting and hoping to get in their log for a new one.

Herb Schoenbohm, KV4FZ