Topband: VE7BS SK

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Topband: VE7BS SK
From: Phil Hartwell via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 08:06:34 +0800
I'm very sad to hear of the passing of yet another great operator. Bob had extremely good ears on Top Band. In August 1988, when I was in the process of selling my previous home in the northern suburbs of Perth, I had taken down all my antennas, but after a few weeks of radio deprivation, I was suffering withdrawal symptoms. As a temporary measure, I attached wires onto the upper storey roof gutter and a cold water pipe. I was delighted to find I could match this "antenna" on Top Band, using a transmatch and my old TS830S barefoot. I would have been happy to contact other VK6's or maybe eastern VK if I was lucky, but I was staggered when my 1st QSO with this setup, on 12th August, was with Bob.
RIP Bob, 73, Phil VK6GX (VK6ABL at the time).