Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

To: "topband@contesting.com topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"
From: Yuri Blanarovich <k3bu@optimum.net>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2014 21:30:05 -0400 (EDT)
One pony needs to get into one drag radio car and drive around the ocean front, over the bridges, back over the land and watch the S-meter and listen to the bands. Observant would see 10 - 20 dB difference in signal levels in "lousy" mobile, especially on low angle propagation.

Examples: Driving around Sydney, NS and listening to Disney 1670 AM in NJ - no signals over land, full quieting solid signal while driving on bridge over salt water. While contesting as N2EE from Cape Hatteras, NC on 10m in contest, was told by ZS6EZ to be the first NA he heard, with vertical on the beach.
Results of "Team Vertical" speak for themselves.
Some of us do know. The reverse beacons testing can verify or legitimize modeling program's "calculated guessing".

Yuri, K3BU.us

 On Sun, Aug 10, 2014 at 11:02 PM, Tom W8JI wrote:

 > My point is if no one else is on, we really don't how other signals would be. It's like a drag race with just one car, or a pony show with one horse.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hardy Landskov" To: "Tom W8JI" ; "TopBand List" Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:08 PM

Tom,
I was totallly not expecting any station from that direction, just thought I'd work a few locals with high incident angles before Sunset here. Then I heard the 6Y2 guys and it was amazing. He was the only station--no KV4FZ, NP4A, etc and certainly no EU at our time. Made me a believer in beach verticals.
73 N7RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom W8JI" To: "TopBand List" Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:20 PM

How was his signal compared to someone from a similar heading and distance at the same time who was not on the beach?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hardy Landskov" To: "Guy Olinger K2AV" ; "Richard Fry"
Cc: "TopBand List" Sent: Sunday, August 10, 2014 7:35 PM

Just an observation to all:
When Tom, N6BT went to Jaimaca and operated 6Y2J (I think was the call) with verticals on the beach I was blown away. I heard them 2 hours before Sunset here on 160....nuff said. The proof is in the pudding.
73 N7RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Guy Olinger K2AV" To: "Richard Fry" Cc: "TopBand List" Sent: Saturday, August 09, 2014 8:35 PM

Just to mention that the prior opinion is controversial and not universally agreed upon. Nor to date has anyone surfaced with actual measurements made at the distances (25 to 50 km) and with span of altitudes (0 to 10 km) to
either prove or disprove either side.

It remains unproven modelling from NEC at those distances either way. This
situation may, alas, persist this way, because the precise subject
resolution appears to be without benefit to any commercial interest and therefore without funds to pay for some pretty expensive experimenting
involving precision measurements from aircraft.

Additionally, there is considerable suspicion that moving from LF to MF in this general subject involves a ground modal change of some sort that would
render 50x10 km measurments at 0.5 or 1 MHz unlike those at 2 MHz,
rendering commercial measurements at low and possibly high BC of no value
for extrapolation to ham use.

Arguments on both sides remain basically intuitive. I have "reasonable"
arguments to BOTH concur with Richard AND to not. NEC near field
calculations over sea water at 50 km follow Richard's assertions, and the same over "average" ground does not. The model clearly thinks that 50 km over most types of ground slowly dissipates low angles resulting in the
controversial "notch" in low angle elevation patterns.

So NEC based modelling cannot be used as a proof text to decide an argument
NEC has with itself.

73, Guy K2AV.