Re: Topband: anybody in Eu using JT-9 or JT-65

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: anybody in Eu using JT-9 or JT-65
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2014 09:05:17 -0700
On 8/12/2014 8:00 AM, ALEXEY OGORODOV wrote:
What's the value of JT modes qso for a dxer?

There's far more to ham radio than making QSOs on CW (which I have been doing for 59 years). There's also station and antenna building, learning new techniques, interfacing computers to rigs, and so on.

From my QTH 5 miles from the Pacific, 70 miles S of San Francisco, I haven't heard EU on 160 for three seasons, and I've never heard any stations from eastern Europe in the 8 years I've lived here. If any of K1JT's WSJT modes let me do that, I'll use them. They are NOT automatic modes, they do require operator skill and knowledge of propagation, and they do require transmitters, receivers, and antennas.

Although W5XZ did not say so in his post, he often is on the band calling CQ on CW. I know because I hear him.

73, Jim K9YC