Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"
From: "Richard Fry" <rfry@adams.net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2014 08:34:13 -0500
The link in the opening post of this thread shows an interesting, animated analysis of the elevation gains of a monopole, based on a NEC far-field analysis not including the surface wave.

I then posted this comment, "Reality is that radiation leaving the monopole at elevation angles of at least 5 degrees decays at a 1/r rate. Therefore that radiation is a space wave which propagates in a ~ straight line to reach the ionosphere, where (with suitable conditions) it can return to the earth as a skywave."

Others have been skeptical that this low-angle radiation was a space wave that could reach the ionosphere.

Recently I investigated this more closely, leading to the NEC4.2 study linked below. It shows that the 3.8 MHz radiation existing on a departure angle of 5 degrees at a distance of 3/10 of a mile from a monopole continues on toward the ionosphere along that path, while its value decays at a 1/r rate -- indicating that it is a space wave.

http://s20.postimg.org/6yau4m225/Monopole_Radiation_5_deg_Departure.jpg