Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"

To: k2av.guy@gmail.com, w8ji@w8ji.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Modeling the proverbial "vertical on a beach"
From: k1zm--- via Topband <topband@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 07:39:59 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Guys

K3ZM is my brother - and his 160m antenna is located in a salt marsh just to
the West of Chesapeake Bay in Matthews, Va as I recall. Indeed he is located
inland a bit (eg: not directly at water's edge) - perhaps 1000 feet distant
(although this is only a guess on my part from photos I have seen).  But the
intervening land is also primarily salt marsh.  At certain times of the year
this land floods with salt water and it is necessary to wear very tall boots in
order to walk out to the base of the towers Peter owns.  I am sure Peter could
add more specifics.

>From conversations I have had with Peter over the years - and from listening
>to his signal over at 7O6T, I can tell you that he is very competitive when
>compared to his peers.  Additionally, his ability to hear for a location so
>far South (eg - not in New England) - especially in winter is quite remarkable
> His contest results in 160M contests speak for themselves.

Other observations - perhaps relevant, perhaps not.

W1WEF and I often get together for lunch in Orleans on Cape Cod.  Jack works
the HF bands from his mobile CW rig in his car - and when he drives out to the
peninsula where I live (just off Pleasant bay which is salt water) - dead 15m
and 20M bands magically go from NO European signals to a full band of signals
as he comes up the road that runs along the Bay.  He describes it as going from
a DEAD BAND to a wide open band as he nears my home.  This is in the daytime in
summer as I recall.

Personally here at VY2ZM - I am sure by co-locating my vertical systems at or
near the water's edge has helped me - to what degree I am not sure - but it is
rare to be outheard looking NE or East on the lowbands.

During this thread I am pretty sure I read a post that co-location near Salt
water is additive also for horizontal yagis.  I do not believe this to be
correct.  My good friend Don Toman has several times told me the effect we are
seeing here is primarily limited to verticals - and not to horizontal yagis -
which according to Don, rely principally on their height above ground as the
key variable impacting their performance.

On the other hand, shooting out over open ocean from a slightly elevated
position with HF yagis is a pretty good takeoff to be sure.  Especially when
compared to looking uphill over land in other directions - which I find causes
performance to suffer by comparison.

FWIW

Salt water is good stuff.  Especially for verticals placed at or near the ocean
- with additional ocean out in front of the antenna for hundreds of miles.  I
too have never fully understood the phenomena but I know it is magical in terms
of lowband DX'ing performance.

73 JEFF  K1ZM/VY2ZM