Re: Topband: Bias Tee Measurements (Test Data)

To: Tom W8JI <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Bias Tee Measurements (Test Data)
From: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:41:19 -0400
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the clarification, and I don't disagree with your most recent
posting except I consider a well regulated supply to be one that has low
ripple, but that might be where you and I went astray on this posting
(sorry about that).  My posting was not to tell folks that they should
repeat my same test since my antenna analyzer has diodes that likely have a
higher voltage rating than some of the antenna analyzers commercially
sold.  I was just trying to follow up on the postings earlier this year
regarding Petes Bias Tee problems in an attempt to shed some light on the
topic.

P.S. another ham thought it would be a good idea if I repeated my test
using a battery, so here are the results (same feedline with 200 ohm RF
load and 100 ohm DC load), and the battery yielded the same results as my
well regulated DC supply (well regulated meaning low ripple and stable
average voltage).

Freq : 1.505 Mhz
Bias Tee (+12 Vdc regulated supply) : R = 30, X = 32
Bias Tee (-12 Vdc regulated supply) : R = 30, X = 32
Bias Tee (0 Vdc regulated supply) : R = 30, X = 32
Bias Tee (no power supply, no battery) : R = 30, X = 32
Bias Tee (+13.06 Vdc SLA battery) : R = 30, X = 32
Bias Tee (-13.06 Vdc SLA battery) : R = 30, X = 32
No Bias Tee : R = 26, X = 27

73, and thanks for the lively discussion.
Don