Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: Outdoor rope suggestions

To: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>, 'TopBand' <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: [Bulk] Re: Outdoor rope suggestions
From: Grant Saviers <grants2@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 17:27:20 -0700
The smaller diameter (20 to 30mm) ball bearing sailboat blocks are $15 to $25 as I previously posted. Here is a slick block from REI for rigging ropes up to 15mm.

http://www.rei.com/product/807414/camp-usa-large-mobile-pulley-ball-bearings 5600# break strength so WLL at 25% is 1400#.

the side cheeks swivel so it works as a snatch block for engaging a standing line. Does more with ball bearings and costs much less and weighs a fraction of sailboat or commercial snatch blocks. A shorter length allows more travel before getting two blocked, helpful on gin pole and derrick rigging. There is also a double version.

The type of rope matters, check out New England Ropes. I hope their new owners don't screw them up, they were the best.

http://www.neropes.com/Interim%20Page%20Alternate.html now www.teufelberger.com/

Generally, double braid dacron or dacron/polyester is all purpose for hams - UV resistant, very low stretch, doesn't put twist into pulling cables or antenna wires, ok for temporary guys (NEVER use nylon!), good for climbing and rigging, good wear and fatigue resistance, but not as a fall protection line where stretch is needed to reduce the shock load (eg use nylon or special purpose lines).

Grant KZ1W