Re: Topband: TX relays

To: Mike Waters <mikewate@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TX relays
From: Tim Shoppa <tshoppa@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2014 08:57:23 -0400
Mike, I would be concerned about using these small relays for non-resonant
antenna switching where the impedance at the switch point may be wildly
away from 50 ohms.

This is the relay I use to switch tuning networks at non-50-ohm points:

http://www.deltrol-controls.com/products/relays/power-relays/900

Deltrol is the brand you get if you order from McMaster-Carr but all the
big relay manufacturers sell these open frame relays.

I also bend the relay contacts for wider spacing as recommended by N6RK in
QST (page 66, May 2009 QST Hints and Kinks, "Increasing Relay Voltage
Handling"). Open contact gap of 0.5 inches is readily achievable.

Tim N3QE