Re: Topband: TX relays

To: <topband@contesting.com>, "Paul Baldock" <pbaldock@frontier.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: TX relays
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 14:34:54 -0400
One solution to the receiving problem when using high current relays may be to have dc current (eg 100mA) pass through the contact in RX. This would be particularly easy to implement when the antennas are zero ohms at DC because the dc current source can then be placed in the shack (with a suitable choke to isolate the RF from the supply and capacitor to isolate the DC from the rig).

That's a good suggestion, and I looked at it for amplifiers, but it is impractical in some cases because of the "pop" it makes when the contacts switch. I can live with it for casual operating, but the AGC pump up kills a short signal while the AGC recovers.