Topband: Mini Night of Nights! - MRHS Newsletter No. 49

To: topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: Mini Night of Nights! - MRHS Newsletter No. 49
From: Bill Stewart <cwopr@embarqmail.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 15:24:54 -0400 (EDT)
Tnx to Steve, VE7SL, for his info.
Here is more info on the Maritime Radio Historical Society part in the event.
Looks like lots of good activity going on around 500kc & below this weekend.

"> Mini Night of Nights 1 November - MF Madness!

In Newsletter No. 47 we announced our Mini Night of Nights event to take place
on the evening of 1 November (Pacific time). We're happy to report that those
plans are still on and that members of the Transmitter and Operations
Departments have stepped up to assure that KSM (and K6KPH) will be standing
tall. Plus Bill Ruck has offered to feed the staff with his famous radioman's
hash (not made from real radiomen we hope) and Chief Operator Dillman will be
supplying an example of his "my o my" key lime pie. We may have to use large
pointed sticks to prod the operations staff out of the kitchen and back to
their operating positions. Ruck, being "Morse challenged" as he puts it, will
not receive such treatment.

What's the idea behind this event? Well, we know it's tough for many folks to
copy the MF signals of KSM during our normal daytime (Pacific time) operations.
We've often thought about a Mini Night of Nights during the winter that would
continue into the evening hours and emphasize MF operations.

The propagation of our HF signals will be different too, so listeners beyond MF
range may be able to copy us at locations where we are not heard during the
day.

How late will we stay on? That's hard to say since it will largely depend on
the sleep inducing qualities of the excellent meal provided by Ruck. But on the
regular Night of Nights events we usually run out of steam at about 9:30 or
10:00pm Pacific time so it'll probably be similar for M NoN."

Here is more info from the MRHS:

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact.com/render?ca=f43260f5-a7f9-4084-9304-9637ee630b59&c=87e94620-790b-11e3-93dd-d4ae5292c4bc&ch=88dd6a20-790b-11e3-9409-d4ae5292c4bc

73 de Bill K4JYS