Re: Topband: Balun or no balun

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Balun or no balun
From: W7RF Dan <w7rf@radiodan.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:58:42 -0700
Kirk,

I put up a large horizontal loop and can use it just about everywhere but since
I have a Yagi for 20-6M, the loop gets used primarily on 160-30M.
The loop I put up is about 1100 feet of wire in a square up 65 feet (supported
by four 70 foot utility poles I planted in my field) fed with about 220 feet of
450 ohm window line. The 1100 feet amount of wire was chosen more based on what
I could fit but I wanted about 2 wavelengths on 160M. It works VERY well for DX
on 80-40-30M and depending on wave angles, can work very well for DX on 160M.
Stateside signals on 160-30M are very good as well. I worked FT5ZM on Amsterdam
on 160M and I had a time window of about 20 minutes in my morning with signals
up to 4 S units out of the noise, no headphones needed!
There are many mechanical considerations when using a feedpoint that is not
supported but floating (I use a pulley system to raise and lower each corner).
I bring it back to the shack horizontally supported by PVC topped 10 foot TV
mast. Then right where it enters my shack through a board pinched by the
sliding window, I use RG-213 for about 5 feet to get through the wood and not
to worry about unbalancing the parallel conductors as it is near metals in the
window frame, etc.
To do this, I use the center conductors of the coax as each leg of the feedline
and ground the shields at the tuner but leave the shields open where it meets
the 450 ohm feedline. I use simple banana plugs/jacks at that outside junction
to quickly disconnect for lightning.
I tune it with a Palstar BT-1500A true balanced line tuner.

I hope this gives you some food for thought showing how one Ham did it. On 80M
results are sometimes better, sometimes worse than my full size 80M vertical,
depending on what DX I'm working.
It has been said by many "once you put up a loop, you never take it down".

If you are feeding it with 30 feet of 450 ohm window line that means it will
not be up very high so I would expect your DX results would be limited on 160
and 80M.

Undoubtedly there will be opinions but I can tell you that this configuration
works incredibly well for me.

73, Dan W7RF
www.radiodan.com
Fort Collins, CO