Re: Topband: Help installing compression connectors

To: "Tony K1AMF" <k1amf@live.com>, <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Help installing compression connectors
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 14:24:18 -0500
It's been many years since I was involved in cable and MATV, but I'm pretty sure the connector you have is for a .150 inch nominal center insulation OD and the cable you have is around .180.

That means it will also be too tight on the shield.

If you get the correct connector and strip the cable properly, and fold the outer shield only back over the packet, the connector will push right on.

When our installers had difficulty with cables like this, usually in cold weather or with old cable, they dunked the cable end in a jar of thinner. We never had coring tools, except for hardline cables, so I've never even seen one.

When we installed connectors we would flood the end with 100% pure silicone grease. It is available as dielectric tune-up grease at auto parts stores, even local stores.

http://www.summitracing.com/ga/parts/umi-22058/overview/

I flood everything with this stuff, except VHF or higher or specialized connectors.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony K1AMF" <k1amf@live.com>