Re: Topband: EZNEC 5.0 +

To: "'Paul Christensen'" <w9ac@arrl.net>, "'topband'" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: EZNEC 5.0 +
From: "Charlie Cunningham" <charlie-cunningham@nc.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2014 00:41:01 -0500
Not sure that I can picture just what you are describing, Paul. Even though, I
wasn't born until 1944, I've explored just about every type of antenna and I've
modeled an awful lot of them.

Of course the typical inverted L is just a monopole that is bent over at the
top to reduce the required support height, and an inverted L with elevated
radials is just a ground-plane antenna that is bent over at the top and the Tee
equivalents just replace the single top wire with equal and opposite wires at
the top to extend the monopole to resonant length. The Tee version does
eliminate the modest residual horizontal component in the far field that occurs
with the inverted L configuration. Of course antenna current is still
fundamentally important - that's what does the radiation!  I do still have a
matched pair of RF ammeters around here, but these days we accomplish the
equivalent measurement by measuring forward power with our SWR bridges.
There's still a fundamental I-squared x R relation between power and antenna
current, where R is the radiation resistance of the antenna + copper losses.
So, it's all the same thing, really. I can't come up with the name of the
antenna that you are describing, because I can't quite picture it.

73,
Charlie, K4OTV