Re: Topband: Cndx ARRL 160 frm Europe

To: "Dr. Wolf Ostwald" <df2py@t-online.de>, topband <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Cndx ARRL 160 frm Europe
From: Kenneth Grimm <grimm@sbc.edu>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 11:20:20 -0500
Hi Wolf,

Interesting observations from your side of the pond.  As you said, the
condx weren't so good the first night and transatlantic sigs were down
quite a bit.  However, the second night was quite different.  Some very
loud sigs were heard from Europe and yours were among the loud ones!  While
some Euopean stations tried to run, they typically were covered by very
loud stations on this side who were running and obviously not listening for
Europe.  I was very pleased to have so many Europeans call me while I was
running.  It seems, to me at least, that Search and Pounce is the best
tactic for Europeans.  Thank you for the points!

73,

Ken - K4XL

On Sun, Dec 7, 2014 at 5:38 AM, Dr. Wolf Ostwald <df2py@t-online.de> wrote:

> hello there reflectees !
> the contest was fun , even under cndx lower than desired. Solar activity
> fired an AU-Index at 5 with a pretty strong solar wind.
> Expexting not much i had set my operating time to 3 hrs before sunrise for
> each day.
> The second nite yielded about twice as much dx as the first one did. But
> it never opended beyond the midwest. Or past Texas.
> Although there seems to be a strong belief that this contest is a more or
> less domestic affair, i strongly disagree at this point.
> For all serious topband afficionados in EU it is a party-time, a large
> number of transatlantic stations available on this prestigious band .
> This contest is a powerful tool to observe propagation, maximize ones own
> technical abilities and have the most fun that any of the HF bands can get
> you.
> As only W/VE counts for Europe, the dx content is not diluted at all. Like
> a straight shot. What could be better ?
> I wanna thank all transatlantic stations that gave me a contact and
> apologize to the others that i might not have heard.
> Looking fwd to ARRL160CW   2015  !
>
> wolf     df2py
>
> Last word to be said  : "You can`t beat physics"

Ken - K4XL
BoatAnchor Manual Archive
BAMA - http://bama.edebris.com

"Show me a politician who is poor, and I'll show you a poor
politician." - Carlos
Hank González