Re: Topband: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down toapartmentcompl

To: "topband" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Boradband noise on 160 meters tracked down toapartmentcomplex
From: "Goldtr8 \(KD8NNU\)" <goldtr8@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2014 20:45:52 -0500
Hi Tom

Thanks for your comments in the email below.

I have a 80m noise that is from a local house source and your comments below have me thinking about how to implement a vertical noise sense antenna.

I believe the noise to be vertically polarized as my horizontal loop does not have the same noise receive issue as my 80m vertical does. Thus my plan was to set up a vertical antenna outside and connect it to my ANC-4 noise nulling system as the sense antenna. I currently used the ANC-4 with a wire strung in the basement with the target to null out plasma tv noise and this was reasonably successful until the new noise showed up. My current sense system does not hear the noise at all so something else needs to be set up. The vertical element I was going to use was a simple 102 inch whip, however based on your comment I am thinking a longer vertical element would be better but I am not sure how to pick a vertical length.

I have concluded based on driving around this weekend with a simple direction loop that it is less than 1/2 mile away from me and its comes from a house. It was active this Sunday morning and using the simple loop I am confident that it is from a specific house. It is not power pole noise that is something that I recognize easily with my mobile operations.

So specifically noise is 80m and I want to null it so I can use 80m again. My thought is a vertical sense antenna, my first thought was a 102 inch whip but I can make something longer. I know the direction of the noise so I can put the sense antenna where needed so I am open for suggestions.

This was the noise that showed up and then disappeared and now has returned intermittently so I need to attempt to try and null it out.

Cheers
Don

~73
Don