Re: Topband: Shunt Feed - Insulated Elements on Yagi

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: Shunt Feed - Insulated Elements on Yagi
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 22:03:00 -0800
On Thu,12/18/2014 4:59 PM, Ralph Parker wrote:
I have a 64' self-standing tower with a 3 el Steppir on it (insulated
elements) and a 40m linear loaded dipole (also insulated) on top of that.
I've worried that any high voltage on the ends of the boom might be harmful
to the drive motors in the dir/ref boxes.
So I've chickened out and avoided loading the tower on 160.

I have a 3-el SteppIR on a 120 ft tower. I don't load the tower, but the tower is a reflector for a wire that is suspended from it, insulated from it, and slopes to a point on the ground about 50 ft from the tower where it is fed against four elevated radials (about 18 ft). This makes the top of the tower a high voltage point, although probably not as high as it would be if I were loading it). There are two antennas rigged like this, one facing the east coast and one facing west. I've been using them for about three years, mostly running legal limit, and the SteppIR still works fine.

73, Jim K9YC