Re: Topband: 160m RX antenna testing surrogates?

To: Jim Miller <jim@jtmiller.com>, topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160m RX antenna testing surrogates?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 12:36:59 -0800
The AM BCB band is unique in that it is virtually
never limited by noise; rather every channel has
deep layers of QRM to deal with.  The BCB is very
useful as a sanity check for beverages, because
they are still very directional in the BCB.  If I
have a broken beverage, the directionality will
be off and/or signals will be down.  None of this
guarantees that the beverage will actually hear
weak signals better than some other antenna.
For that, I use WWV/WWVH on 2.5 MHz.  I can compare
signal to noise ratios of antennas to be tested.
I make sure that my tuned loops can tuned to 2.5 MHz.

Rick N6RK