Re: Topband: The Stew

To: Topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: The Stew
From: "Gary Smith" <Gary@ka1j.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 21:45:37 -0500
Oh yes, another vent I didn't mention...

The (let me be nice with my brethren),
"over achievers" who CQ and have their
machines set so fast to refire that they
don't begin to listen for a reply.

There were more than several of these gems
going so fast I played a game to figure
something out: I found when I sent my call
(set at 27 WPM), I'd finish my call & I
would hear part of their Q from CQ already
in progress when I would, as fast as
possible, send KA1J for them to hear.

So I kept speeding up my sender till I
could hear my whole call and then clearly
hear the first dah they sent. 34 WPM is
what it took to beat their timing... 34
WPM to barely squeeze in that call
in-between their last character and the
beginning of their first.

Tell me the intelligence in repeating the
CQ sequence that fast. Seems stupid to me
but I won't say such a thing about my
brethren.

;)

73,

Gary
KA1J

> Hi all,

> I decided again to be a masochist and run
> another contest QRP when there is a
> perfectly fine Alpha War horse 18" away. I
> have to say not being able to contact
> stations you hear clearly is a significant
> irritant. Yes, the joy of being the
> underdog is at times over-rated. Still, I
> had a whole lot of fun.

---