Re: Topband: Silver solder

To: Jorge Diez CX6VM <cx6vm.jorge@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Silver solder
From: Bill Wichers <billw@waveform.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2014 01:15:12 +0000
2% is about what the lead-free electronic solders are (they are a
tin/silver/copper alloy and are mostly tin). Don't bother with the 30%. My
mechanical contractor uses this stuff to fix things he can't reach well enough
to braze. It's not generally used for anything normal.

Coincidentally I was just out soldering more radials last night. I use 18 gauge
solid copper radial wire and a 1/2" copper pipe ring to tie them together. My
original 29 radials were all soldered with lead-free electronic solder and they
are all fine after 2-3 years. I didn't do anything to try to protect the
soldered connections -- everything is fully exposed and lying on the ground.

I added 31 more radials. I soldered some the same way, but I'm trying regular
lead-free plumbing solder on the others. I am finding the plumbing flux to work
better than the rosin-core solder (it wets the joints more evenly). I'm not
sure what the exact alloy is for the plumbing solder.

If you use the solder bars remember that you'll need separate flux and brushes
to apply it. I like the water soluble flux -- it cleans up way easier.

-Bill KB8WYP

Sent from my iPad