Re: Topband: 160 Worked All States

To: topband@contesting.com
Subject: Re: Topband: 160 Worked All States
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2015 10:34:28 -0800
On Fri,1/9/2015 9:50 AM, James Bennett wrote:
Hi folks - I’m trying to complete my WAS on 160 and need a confirmed QSO with
anyone in the following five states: LA, MS, SC, WV, VT.

I'm also trying to complete 160M WAS QRP, and need six states. Four of them are on your list -- MS, SC, WV, and VT. The best propagation to them is in the hour or so before their sunrise, and a half hour so so after their sunrise. The station who's most active in VT, W1SJ, is absolutely deaf -- he can be 10 over S9 and can't hear me. N8OO has a big signal from LA, and is not too tough to work. N4OGW is active in contests from MS; Tor is a good op and has a decent station, but he goes to bed early. Catch him earlier in the evening. N8II and K8JQ are active from WV, but not big signals.

I don't see NAQP as a great opportunity, but you might get N8OO. The reason is that it ends at 10 PM PST, and those of us who go to 160 do so in the last half hour to grab some more mults. Much better opportunities during CQWW160 CW, the weekend of Jan 24, and later during the SSB weekend, Feb 28. Both contests start at 2PM PST Friday.

You probably know that propagation on 160 ebbs and flows through the evening, and some nights are far better than others. I've worked WAS in a weekend several times with 100W from CA.

73, Jim K9YC