Re: Topband: Beverage on Ice

To: Eddy Swynar <deswynar@xplornet.ca>
Subject: Re: Topband: Beverage on Ice
From: Guy Olinger K2AV <k2av.guy@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2015 19:38:24 -0500
I think I would take insulated Flexweave to make an "Ice-BOG". I would use
one of these Lithium-Ion hand held circular saws, with the depth of the saw
set to a quarter inch, or whatever depth you think will protect it from the
snowmobiles. Trench the ice with that and then push the wire down into the
notch. Pour water into the notch and let it freeze back. At the ends,
solder some bare #12 to the flexweave, enough to go to the bottom or 50
feet, and let it drop straight down through a hole in the ice. Those are
your "grounds". Don't bother with a termination resistor at the far end.
The wire to water will have a complex impedance that should be good enough
for a BOG. The rest is the usual transformers and feedline.  Make the
flexweave 220 feet (67 meters).

Be the first to go ice-bogging.  Keep notes and let us know wha hoppen. Be
a great NCJ article.  :>)

73, Guy K2AV