Re: Topband: Compact magnetic loop

To: Ignacy Misztal <no9e@arrl.net>, "topband@contesting.com" <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Compact magnetic loop
From: Arthur Delibert <radio75a3@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 18:30:33 -0500
I've been playing with an amplified Wellbrook ALA 1530S+ loop antenna for about
10 days now.  It does a very good job on both close-in and long-distance
signals across the SW spectrum, and its ability to knock down the local noise
is a great benefit in my dense suburban location.

Compared to my two pennant antennas, which have DX Engineering amplifiers, both
my ears and my display tell me that the Wellbrook signal is a few dB lower,
although the better S/N ratio often makes the signal more readable on the
Wellbrook.  The difference in signal level is not surprising, given the larger
size of the pennants; in fact, the surprising thing is that the difference
isn't greater.

Given my age and the continual loss of tall trees on the property, it's clear
that I'm going to need a replacement for the pennants someday that doesn't
require trees or ladder-climbing.  The Wellbrook may be it.

Art Delibert, KB3FJO