Topband: K levels and skew path on 160

To: <topband@contesting.com>
Subject: Topband: K levels and skew path on 160
From: "Steven R Daniel, D.D.S." <nn4t@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 11:18:13 -0600
I was rereading the article by Cary Oler and Ted Cohen (N4XX), published in
1998, which provided a good primer for understanding, as much as we can,
propagation on Topband. In one section the impact of a high K index on the
auroral oval, and its subsequent impact on signals passing through the oval,
was discussed. My question is does the K index, especially at higher levels,
impact the SW or SSW skew path many of us were trying to use this morning to
work Ken, XW4ZW? Any information or observations will be appreciated. Best,
Steve, NN4T