Re: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters

To: Don Kirk <wd8dsb@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: Topband: Elimination of Treadmill RFI on 160 meters
From: Brad Rehm <bradrehm@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:26:07 -0600
Don,

FWIW, today, W5UJE and I dealt with a treadmill problem similar to yours by
installing a commercial line filter between the line and the treadmill
electronics.  A Corcom/TE Connectivity 20VR1 filter reduced the 40m and 75m
noise at his receiver from S9+10db to less than S2 (his noise floor this
morning).  The 20 Amp rating was needed because the manufacturer's
published current requirement for the treadmill was 15 Amps.

In measurements we'd made earlier, we found that this was a common-mode
problem and that the noise spurs were about 20 kHz apart when the treadmill
was operating under a moderate load.  The spectrum scope on his radio
showed 20 kHz-spaced broadband noise up through 29 MHz, peaking between 1.8
and 15 MHz.  The line filter we chose offers 10-20 dB of supperssion below
50 kHz and 60-80 dB of suppression between 300 kHz and 29 MHz.  No
additional filtering with torroids or capacitors was needed.

In other words, our results were similar to yours, and one wonders how
manufacturers can say these things meet Part 15 requirements for conducted
emissions.

Brad  KV5V